Noun: tension ten-shun
- (psychology) a state of mental or emotional strain or suspense
"he suffered from fatigue and emotional tension";
- tenseness, stress
- The physical condition of being stretched or strained
"it places great tension on the leg muscles";
- tensity, tenseness, tautness
- (literature) a balance between and interplay of opposing elements or tendencies (especially in art or literature)
"there is a tension created between narrative time and movie time"; "there is a tension between these approaches to understanding history"
- (physics) a stress that produces an elongation of an elastic physical body
"the direction of maximum tension moves asymptotically toward the direction of the shear"
- Feelings of hostility that are not manifest
"the diplomats' first concern was to reduce international tensions";
- latent hostility
- The action of stretching something tight
"tension holds the belt in the pulleys"
- Put an object in tension; pull or place strain on
Anagrams created by scrambling the word tension